What game are you addicted to at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilgepump

Establishing Talker
Apr 26, 2000
Visit site
Oh, I also really like the Commandos series. It's concept is similar to Thief only it's not an FPS and it's involves more strategy. ...very fun and addictive.

-bp

Delacroix

Emerging Talker
Apr 5, 2000
Theif 2 here as well, just something about sneaking around in the dark breaking into different places is really fun.. hehe

fiero273

Emerging Talker
Apr 30, 2000
fiero.freeshell.org
Diesel Dan, if you pick up NFS: PU, you'll definitely put that wheel to good use. The forcefeedback effects are neither bad nor good, but the added precision is very helpful in PU.

Also, check out the game Motorhead. This is the best arcade racer I have ever played. You drive at nearly supersonic speeds (ok, a 1/3 of that, but it's still hella-fast) in a futuristic car with mega-grip. The developers aimed for clean graphics at 60 FPS, and it really shows--tracks, cars and lighting effects are all beatiful and very smooth. There's even full-scene motion blur. It just feels perfect with a wheel, and the forcefeedback effects are the best I've ever felt in a game. This game will make every other car sim you've played feel downright sloooow.

Want to hear the really cool part? All this can be had for the low, low price of $5.95. ( http://www.us.buy.com/soft/product.asp?sku=20005902 )

I think I'm gonna go play Motorhead...

------------------
"If your car is under control, you're too slow" - Parnelli Jones

Diesel

PeakForums Legend
Apr 26, 2000
I hate to dig this thread out of the grave, but I just got NFS: Porche 2000 (from Compuexpert, same as Porche Unleashed), and am kinda disappointed with it.
What's the deal with the car losing control on the turns? I've had this happen to me in 3 straight races.
Also, those old cars are boring and a **** to drive.
[sarcasm]It was so exciting racing along at 60mph! [/sarcasm]
For crying out loud, my '85 Skylark goes faster than that thing when it's floored. I know it's an old car, but I thought I bought a racing game, not a Driving Miss Daisy game. Next thing I know, they'll be a downloadable "Piggly Wiggly Route" track downloadable from EA.

I'll keep playing in the hopes that it gets better, but I'm currently of the opinion that this is the first backwards step in the series, and a serious dropoff from High Stakes.

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

fiero273

Emerging Talker
Apr 30, 2000
fiero.freeshell.org
Diesel Dan--I'm sorry to hear you don't like NFS: Porsche 2000 so far. Please continue to give it a chance.

It will take a bit of time to learn each car, but before long you will learn their limits and push your Porsche just beyond them. This game will feel very fast once you do that.

Yes--there's a lot more realism to NFS: PU than previous versions. It's still a far cry from a simulation, but you do have to learn more and work a lot harder before the game becomes rewarding. You will wreak havoc on your car if you enter a turn too fast, if you apply brakes at the wrong time, if miss the apex, or if you accelerate too early.

I absolutely love running a good race with a 356B Carrera 2. I enjoy the classic cars even more than the modern 911's. Racing an asshappy 1967 911S Targa is very rewarding. Counter-steering just as you hear the tires loose grip, and still hitting the right line through a turn is a thrill--to push the car to its limit.

Once you hit the modern cars--the 996, Carrera 4, and Boxster, the game will feel a bit more like NFS: HS, and your virtual driving skills will be exponentially better.

If you have yet to, start playing as the test driver--you start off with modern cars, and it will feel familiar to you.

I surely do hope you start to enjoy this game. If you use ICQ, I would love to talk with you more about it. And definitely check out Motorhead--it feels just like a game you'd play in an arcade--outrageously fast, very easy, and a lot of fun.

------------------
"If your car is under control, you're too slow" - Parnelli Jones

Diesel

PeakForums Legend
Apr 26, 2000
Well, I'm currently nearing the end of the Classic Era, and have a 911. The cars still turn like I'm driving on ice. Even when doing 40, the cars still swerve all over the place.
I'm really giving this game a chance, but I still like High Stakes better. In NFS:HS, you really need to work to get new cars. Even winning every circuit, you still need to bust your butt to earn enough for, say, and Porche 911 Turbo or a Ferrari F50. Plus, once you've managed to earn enough to buy them, you still need to win enough to purchase the upgrades and stay competitive.
So far, I've felt that all I had to do was win my races, and I had enough to buy a new car.
It's just not doing anything for me just yet. The most exciting thing about the game so far is the knowledge that I didn't pay full price for it. :)

------------------
From another BBS:
"hmm... Cyrix III, huh? You can put syrup on sh*t, but that don't make it pancakes."

Prox

Part Of The Furniture
May 10, 2000
COUNTER-STRIKE!!!!! That game rocks. For a while I was playing like 4 hours a day.

------------------
uh yeah . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.