What game are you addicted to at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpeg

Established Talker
Apr 26, 2000
Visit site
Me, I'm addicted to

Rouge Spear: Urban ops addon (multi)
Ralley Masters (multi)

What are you playing?

------------------
help me jebus!!!

WaterB

Expert Talker
Mar 16, 2000
i'm still stuck on counterstrike.. ack.. can't... stop...

and no.. RB6 is not better than counterstrike.. and no.. counterstrike is not a copy of RB6... if i recall correctly.. beta 1 of counterstrike was released before RB6

Diesel

PeakForums Legend
Apr 26, 2000
I'm still stuck on some older games... Diablo, NFS:HS.
I kinda got tired of UT and Q3A, but I was never a huge fan of the FPS genre.

I can't wait to get my hands on NFS: Motor City, and NFS: Porche Unleashed.

------------------
Serendipity is looking for a needle in a haystack and finding the farmer's daughter.

Diesel

PeakForums Legend
Apr 26, 2000
Is High Stakes better than Porche Unleashed?

------------------
Serendipity is looking for a needle in a haystack and finding the farmer's daughter.

grim57

Established Talker
Apr 26, 2000
Definately Counterstike!
Go! Go! Go!
Affirmative.

I tried Rainbow Six, but the version I got had no sound and I never bothers to try again after that.

------------------
In Hong Kong, he'd be dead.

Alien

Part Of The Furniture
Mar 15, 2000
Zeta 2 Reticuli
I hope so as well, I've been waiting for Diablo 2 for forever! :)

------------------
^Alien^ -- Alien Soup Administrator / Owner
["Everything was true. God was an alien. Oz really is over the
rainbow. ...and Midian is where the monsters live." -Nightbreed]

Diesel

PeakForums Legend
Apr 26, 2000
Me too. I initially had it pre-ordered for something like $24 from VA during their initial VD$ days. Supposed to be released around November, they said. :(
Got cancelled last month by VA, since they didn't know when they'd be getting it.

------------------
"Qualifications for being a Moderator at Anandtech...? I think that you have to be 17 or under, and the lobomoty has to be total. Partial lobomoty only gets you Elite Member status."

fiero273

Emerging Talker
Apr 30, 2000
fiero.freeshell.org
I'm totally addicted to NFS: Porsche Unleashed... and I don't even like Porsches. :) IMHO, It's among the best race games ever. Its only gaping flaw is the lack of support for Act Labs' RS Shifter... major bummer. :(

I couldn't stand NFS3: Hot Pursuit. It played better with a joystick than a wheel, and I think the very aggressive AI had something against me. I felt kind of weird not liking it... it was reviewed well, won awards, and had/has a huge following.

Never tried NFS: High Stakes--I figured it was similar to NFS3 and that I wouldn't like it.

If you have yet to play NFS: Porsche Unleashed, make sure to download the demo at http://www.higherstakes.com . It weighs in at 30 mb.

------------------
"If your car is under control, you're too slow" - Parnelli Jones

Diesel

PeakForums Legend
Apr 26, 2000
Fiero> You're way off about High Stakes. The career mode makes the game way better than any of the previous ones. The Knockout races get tense when it's going to cost you $7000 to come in 2nd. The High Stakes races leave a pit in your stomach when you realize that you're going to lose the race and that nice Corvette that you managed to get upgraded to Level 3.
The AI is challenging throughout. Give it a shot.
I still can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Porche Unleashed, though.
Whatever happened to NFS: Motor City?

------------------
"Qualifications for being a Moderator at Anandtech...? I think that you have to be 17 or under, and the lobomoty has to be total. Partial lobomoty only gets you Elite Member status."

fiero273

Emerging Talker
Apr 30, 2000
fiero.freeshell.org
Well Diesel Dan, after seeing your overflowing enthusiasm for NFS: High Stakes, I figured I'd look into it once again.

I read a couple reviews--most everyone loved the game--and then proceeded to download the demo. Three minutes later, (yep, cable connection is pretty slick) I was revving the engine of a Porsche 911.

I tried... I really did try to like the game. It's the controls and AI that just seem to rub me the wrong way. The game actually felt better with my Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad than with my Act Labs ForceRS.

And there's just something about the AI that reminds me of a meandering snake. They really don't go in a straight line and are dangerous to be around. Their cars look as if they're strafing, not turning, and at a very high rate of speed.

Now for the really weird part... :rolleyes: It has to be me, not the game. I've never heard another person make the same complaints as I do. Not a single review I've read has said the above things.

I think NFS: Porsche Unleashed is pretty fly, tho. I've also been spending a lot of time in Viper Racing... the most rewarding car sim I've ever played. Entering a bend at the perfect speed will put a grin on anyone's face.

------------------

Finity

Mastermind Talker
Apr 4, 2000
Visit site
counterstrike hardcore! yeeeah! and they newest beta of CS IS A COMPLETE RIP OFF OF Rogue spear.

anyways, rogue spear is tight as hell making a server while playing on the network with a friend
(i have a 2 computer lan in my room)

what else....hmmmmmmm
soldier of fortune is fun as hell
beat he single player on medium skill
multi..no worky
heh dont ask why

Diesel

PeakForums Legend
Apr 26, 2000
fiero (BTW, my grandfather still has a Fiero)>
I never played the demo, so I'm not sure what modes, cars, or tracks are included. I know the full version has tracks that I'm still unlocking, the career mode makes everything worthwhile, and I do know what you're referring to.
I don't find it to be as much of a problem as you do, though. It also might depend on what view you normally use. I know the different camera angles give you vastly different feels to the game.

Even with it's drawbacks, the game is still good. Everything that made the previous games in the series great are still there. The graphics are fabulous, the replayability factor is high, and the game modes are challenging.

I'm not saying there aren't better driving games, or room for improvement in this one; there are in both aspects. I'm saying that for what it is, it's a great game. Maybe what you're missing is the career mode, since that's what really sets this game apart from the ones before it.

------------------

fiero273

Emerging Talker
Apr 30, 2000
fiero.freeshell.org
Dan, what controller do you use with NFS:HS?

I've started looking for NFS:HS... found it for $20 at the local Best Buy. I'm gonna keep an eye out and see if I can't beat that online. Either way, it sounds like a good deal. :)

Wow... your grandfather has a Fiero. Excellent.
I'm totally in love with mine...
It's a 1988 (last year made) Pontiac Fiero Formula colored arrest-me-red. The car feels like it's on rails, and is such a pleasure to drive. I have a pic at http://fiero.freeshell.org/myfiero .

If you or anyone else reading this has any interest in the Fiero, come by http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ultimate.cgi . The people there are absolutely amazing.

------------------

Diesel

PeakForums Legend
Apr 26, 2000
I switch back and forth between my Sidewinder Gamepad Pro, and my Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel.
I actually prefer using the Gamepad, but am noticing problems that I think are USB related, such as whenever a frame drop occurs, the game will lock on the controller movement at the time of the frame drop, which usually sends me careening off into a wall at high speeds.
I didn't notice these problems with my original Sidewinder Gamepad (gameport), and I don't have the issues with the steering wheel, although I find it cumbersome to use.

------------------

bilgepump

Establishing Talker
Apr 26, 2000
Visit site
My absolute favorite game right now has to be Thief 2. I probably spend a couple hours per night (and that's a lot for me) playing this game. I've been addicted since Thief 1 demo. One of these days I'll figure out how to make my own levels if I ever get the time.

Any other Thief fans out there?

-bp

Status
Not open for further replies.