School fees -

alove

Expert Talker
Oct 1, 2010
:hopmad:

I am now paying my mandatory school fees for my three kids. One is going into high school, one in middle school and one still in grade school.

My total bill for school fees is $1043.00! This does not include school supplies. This seems so high. I thought we were supposed to get a free public education. This doesn't include PTO fees and the middle school fee for PTO is $26!

kewpon addict

Part Of The Furniture
Mar 17, 2011
WOW! That sux! I hope they are getting a super great education for all the money you pay in fees!

B

boyzrus

We have high fees too. PTOs/PTAs are really hurting for money. I was the PTA Treasurer for our middle school and our revenue has been cut in half. The money goes to stuff the district doesn't pay for, like extra supplies the teachers need or even some technology upgrades, but people just don't have it. We even started cutting field trips.

Anything you can give to the PTA/PTO will be appreciated. They are really feeling the pinch.

skincarekathy

Part Of The Furniture
Sep 23, 2010
Oh!

Here is my yearly reminder that if your students qualify for free or reduced hot lunch through school, your school fees will be reduced/waived depending on what level of free/reduced hot lunch your students qualify for.

You can apply for most districts online through their website. If you cannot apply online, you can apply at any school in your district, just stop in the office.

mrsred1

BANNED
Mar 16, 2010
Also if you qualify for free lunch, you can get Comcast Internet for $10. I assume that's still going on?

0coupon0

Mastermind Talker
Apr 17, 2010
Chicago
That is a lot for free school.

My son goes to a private school and we pay $800 in various fees in addition to the $4200 in tuition. We also have to volunteer 15 hours to the school and 15 hours to the church or we get billed.

missysid

Mastermind Talker
Jul 12, 2006
Does anyone know if the chart on the reduced price lunch application is gross or net pay? I can't remember which it was last year.

B

boyzrus

I thought they changed the process this year for the free and reduced lunch. At least we got something about it, but I didn't read since we don't qualify. Check into it.

B

boyzrus

I only paid $630 in fees this year for 3 children. My fourth goes to a private school and his registration fee is $400. It was $200 or $250 to register for the public high school. Plus now they charge you fees for workbooks and other learning materials.

skincarekathy

Part Of The Furniture
Sep 23, 2010
Missy it is based upon gross pay, but you should definitely keep applying, the USDA which runs the program is always expanding the income limits AND some districts in the state have gone to 100 pct eligibility because of pervasive low-income.

Easiest just to apply!

If you work on a base+commission, only declare your base. I know you work for an insurance office, dunno how you are paid but if you get any commission or overtime, do not declare it. They are only interested in base pay.

Momof2girls

Part Of The Furniture
Jan 1, 2009
Tinley Park
That is a lot for free school.

My son goes to a private school and we pay $800 in various fees in addition to the $4200 in tuition. We also have to volunteer 15 hours to the school and 15 hours to the church or we get billed.
I send my dd to private school and tuition is about the same. The fees aren't as much though. We have a few events that if we don't participate in we will be fined. We have to buy and sell things throughout the year also. Just bought two uniforms...ouch.

kmjlovesjesus

Part Of The Furniture
Feb 15, 2009
Mary, this year instead of going on what the state says for free or reduced for tuituon--our district incorporated a new fee--we have to file separate paper work for free or reduced. I still have to file mine--while we did qualify for free school--not sure we will for reduced--last year we qualified for reduced--so will wait to see---I have to get the income from dh---since everything goes through direct deposit I don't have exact salary anymore.

icoupon2

Hooker boots for the mistah not the mustard.
Jun 8, 2010
This is the first time in what 15 years that I haven't had to pay school fees :hides:

:bliss:

icoupon2

Hooker boots for the mistah not the mustard.
Jun 8, 2010
Joy, you do realize that means you are getting old?

Yes :37: DS almost 18 is still in school but we don't have to pay anything oop for the private school. It went by so fast :pout:

atm123

Part Of The Furniture
Apr 4, 2009
$5 party fee and we don't have to bring any supplies! :cartwheel: