Futuristic TVs

possum37

Mastermind Talker
Apr 26, 2000
According to some tech websites I've visited, forecasters are saying that these High-Definition TVs with a built-in widescreen capability are going to become the standard within the next ten years. Personally, I was lucky to be able to afford the TV I own now, and I just *don't* see the big bucks rolling in to be able to afford one of these babies.

If TV stations & cable companies switch over to a HDTV broadcast, will our older TVs be able to interpret the signal? Will networks & companies send 2 feeds for 2 types of TV sets? If the prices don't drop, are people still going to buy them? Am I worrying over nothing?

I just need my doses of the Simpsons and ER...regular TV, HDTV, whatever, I just want to be able to watch them.

Any words of advice out there? Insights into the future?

----------------------------
My knob tastes funny.

mthrlangl

Part Of The Furniture
Jun 22, 2000
This is just my opinion, but the new tvs are prolly a lot like dvds. I didn't know this, but dvds have been around for *years*, but because they were so new and expensive, not many people bought them. Now that they're cheaper and stuff, people are buying them, so more movies are beign put on dvds, etc. I think that the cabel companies know they'd be losing a *lot* of customers if they just up and switched to hdtv.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. - Calvin

spidergoolash

Part Of The Furniture
May 1, 2000
ye gads, my trusty 13-year old, 19" tv just blew up six months ago and i now am the proud owner of a *BIG* (to me anyway) 27" tv. this is about as futuristic as it's going to get folks - okay? and btw, i just bought a radio w/a cd player in it LAST YEAR - oooooooohhhhh

"it's easier to stay out than get out"

possum37

Mastermind Talker
Apr 26, 2000
Welcome to the 90's, spidergoolash...hee hee hee...

Just kidding...if it's any consolation, other than my DVD player, every other piece of home entertainment hardware I own is nearly a decade old...bought & paid for with high-school graduation money.
You'd think that after I finished grad school, I'd have earned more cash along the way, but somehow things didn't work out that way. D'Oh!

A big 27" TV...hey, to a lot of us, that *is* a big TV...heck, I'm not sure my car is that big...

My knob tastes funny.

CaptKirk

Active Talker
Apr 26, 2000
I think the deal is that after the FCC mandated switch to HDD broadcasts within the next few years, you will be able to buy a set top box to downconvert the HDD signal to your regular TV. You won't get the quality of a true HDD TV, but you will get to see the picture. Likely there will be a selectable mode to either see the HDD picture in "letter-box" format on your TV, or lose the left and right edges like pan&scan movies now...

Scotty, the native aliens here ARE friendly...

liltaz

Chief Talker
May 17, 2000
www.heart-at-home.com
That's probably right. I hope so because our nice 27" is new and I don't want to trade it in for something else. I like it. Those HDTVs are just too expensive anyway.