Flying

Boone

Expert Talker
Jul 16, 2000
Visit site
I wish I had the cash and time to take flying lessons. One year some friends gave me as a gift a introductory lesson to flying at Cardinal Aviation up in Stratford. I loved it, the instructor was even nice enough to cut the 1/2 hour ground lesson to 15 minutes so I could get 45 minutes in the air. So Cool!

spidergoolash

Part Of The Furniture
May 1, 2000
sorry i can't be of more help on this subject. i'm absolutely terrified of flying. enroute to bermuda about ten years ago we ran into a little trouble over the bermuda triangle
(i don't know if it was there, just kidding) we started dumping fuel like mad. we had to turn around and make an emergency landing back in newark. awaiting our return was about twenty fire trucks, ambulances and assorted emergency personnel. we never did find out what went wrong either - never again.

there's just something about hurtling down a runway doing 200 miles per hour in a sardine can that just turns my stomach

----------------------------
"it's easier to stay out than get out"

Boone

Expert Talker
Jul 16, 2000
Visit site
Well spider if I ever get my pilot's license you'll have to come fly with me. I promise you will have a smoother ride.

Always An Alien

Expert Talker
May 20, 2000
I made it through "ground school" that lasted about 6-8 weeks. Chickened out after that. No matter what science may teach us........I STILL dont think its normal for that big thing to stay up in the air.

But, GO FOR IT!

spidergoolash

Part Of The Furniture
May 1, 2000
i agree in going for it if it's something you know you'd enjoy ... and thanxz for the invite. you'd just have to get me really drunk first before i'd go w/you

KNSinatra

Mastermind Talker
Aug 18, 2000
www.KNSinatra.com
You hit the nail right on the head in saying that the big problems involved in getting a pilot's license are time and money. I have a few friends who are in the airforce, but who can only be in CAP (Civil Air Patrol), because of the same concerns. It's just so incredibly pricey to get the license, and it takes so much time to put in enough flying time and lessons to qualify. But those I do know who have been able to get through it beleive was the best investment of their life. So best of luck to you - if this is something you really really want, you'll find a way

Boone

Expert Talker
Jul 16, 2000
Visit site
I'd very much like to pursue it but I'll have to wait until the daily routine of my life permits it. It is expensive but I think the biggest obstacle is putting in the time. It takes a lot of hours, kind of hard to do especially if you are working 40+ hours a week.

KNSinatra

Mastermind Talker
Aug 18, 2000
www.KNSinatra.com
I'm going out on a limb here assuming that you're from CT too, being that your lessons were in Stratford. If in fact I am correct, I know for a fact that there are periodic lessons up past Hartford at Bradley airbase (I was actually out there a few days ago watching the planes land at night!), and also some private instructors who take off from Tweed. Then again, being that there are probably many many towns named Stratford in the US, I'm most likely entirely off my my geography! But Cardinal sounds very familiar...

"Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart."

-Erma Bombeck

Boone

Expert Talker
Jul 16, 2000
Visit site
Give the lady a cigar! I do live in CT and Cardinal Aviation is right next to Sikorsky I believe. It's been a few years since I went up there.

monsieurjohn

PeakForums Legend
Jul 3, 2000
www.happysmash.com
i was hoping to get my pilot's license before my driver's license. unfortunately, no $5000 on hand.

spider- i'd love to survive an incident like yours - you've got a great story! besides. nothing bad really happened, and the percentage of people who survive flights is huge. like 99.999%

This message will self-destruct in 5...4...3...

spidergoolash

Part Of The Furniture
May 1, 2000
nothing bad happened, except the girl who was sitting next to me - her hand was blue from me squeezing the life out of it, my husband almost overdosed on pepto-bismol by drinking an entire bottle in less than 30 seconds, and the odd fact that the only person on the entire plane who was screaming was me

but i'm here now posting this - so everything worked out.

mthrlangl

Part Of The Furniture
Jun 22, 2000
<background> My daddy was stationed in Germany with the AirForce almost 30 years ago. In '96, he and I went back over there for a visit, to see his old landlords, friends, etc. While we were there, his friend's husband took us to his old base, so we could see it, and he knew a guy who'd take us up in a little plane, so we could see the countryside and stuff. Anyway. We met this guy there named Fritz, who took me up in the power glider that he co-owned, and he gave me a little lesson on how to fly it. Pretty soon, he turned off the engine (it was a glider, so it was okay), and let me fly it. It was awesome
I have pics of myself..somewhere..wearing those big, goofy headphones and the inside of the ****pit and stuff.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. - Calvin

KNSinatra

Mastermind Talker
Aug 18, 2000
www.KNSinatra.com
aww, man! is this censor-certain-bad-words thing automated? ****pit is a perfectly legitimate word! no fair! (sorry mthr!)

"Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart."

-Erma Bombeck

JHowse

Part Of The Furniture
May 4, 2000
Mth, now I'm envious! I'd love to learn how to fly, too. Money and time hold me back, though, so it isn't going to happen for a while.

Didn't you know? You can't say c0ckpit in this forum.

mthrlangl

Part Of The Furniture
Jun 22, 2000
::grumble:: I think that's the first time I've been automatically censored. Alien, you're violating my right to free speech! You're a gosh darn poopie head

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. - Calvin