Soccer Best defender in football history?

shaun

Mastermind Talker
Feb 20, 2012
Who is the best defender in football history in your opinion? For me it's between Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini, hard to pick one but I'll go for Baresi, the master sweeper.

Mr.Clutch

Expert Talker
Feb 18, 2012
www.moneygeddon.net
Franz Beckenbauer - he revolutionized how to be a defender and introduced how the aggressive sweeper system.

Baresi and Maldini are excellent choices and they would be my 2nd and 3rd choices no doubt! Baresi was amazing, his reading of the game was second to none.

shaun

Mastermind Talker
Feb 20, 2012
Beckenbauer is a good choice.

Where would you put Bobby Moore in the all time defender list? Another defender who read the game superbly.

brithekop

Established Talker
Feb 24, 2012
I would say Fabio Cannavaro and Paolo Maldini :)
I consider them as the best in my opinion.

We all know they abilities of the Italian guys when it comes to defending their half.

I really can't wait for the Euros and I hope Italy are better now.

MMAmisc

Established Talker
Feb 29, 2012
As most of you have already posted, Beckenbauer. He's in a league of his own.

footiefan

Expert Talker
Feb 18, 2012
I don't think I can pick one because their styles are so different but my Top 5:

Baresi
Maldini
Cannavaro
Beckenbauer
Roberto Carlos
Roberto Carlos was an AWESOME free kick taker! Anyone remember this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb2qykj6_ZU"]Roberto Carlos Freekick Against France HQ - YouTube[/ame]

Mr.Clutch

Expert Talker
Feb 18, 2012
www.moneygeddon.net
Carlos was a great attacker from deep. And could really whack a ball too. But he was a pretty ordinary defender, he relied on his pace to get him out of trouble. He would be nowhere near my top 5!

footiefan

Expert Talker
Feb 18, 2012
Carlos was a great attacker from deep. And could really whack a ball too. But he was a pretty ordinary defender, he relied on his pace to get him out of trouble. He would be nowhere near my top 5!
He wouldnt be in my top 5 defenders but if I had to pick an all time XI I would likely have Carlos in the side :)

shaun

Mastermind Talker
Feb 20, 2012
Carlos was great going forward, fast and exciting to watch but as a defender I wouldn't put him in the great category.

Who has been the best defender in the past 10 years? I think Carvalho is up there, a brilliant defender in his prime.

shaun

Mastermind Talker
Feb 20, 2012
I would say Fabio Cannavaro and Paolo Maldini :)
I consider them as the best in my opinion.

We all know they abilities of the Italian guys when it comes to defending their half.

I really can't wait for the Euros and I hope Italy are better now.
The Italians have produced so many legendary defenders, they are the masters of defending.

footiefan

Expert Talker
Feb 18, 2012
Carlos was great going forward, fast and exciting to watch but as a defender I wouldn't put him in the great category.

Who has been the best defender in the past 10 years? I think Carvalho is up there, a brilliant defender in his prime.
Carvalho, Vidic, Laursen, Puyol, Cafu, Nesta would all be in there.

BareKnuckleBoxing

Expert Talker
Feb 21, 2012
Tampa, FL
Roberto Carlos was a great defender because he was the total package. This wasn't a poll about the best tackler or best at man marking. It was best defender; a guy that can play solid defense but move the ball up field and take those devastating free kicks is a great defender in my book.

footiefan

Expert Talker
Feb 18, 2012
Roberto Carlos was a great defender because he was the total package. This wasn't a poll about the best tackler or best at man marking. It was best defender; a guy that can play solid defense but move the ball up field and take those devastating free kicks is a great defender in my book.
I agree with this. It would have been awesome having Roberto in your team as you were always going to be a threat from free kicks.